Fevers are a common symptom of illness, characterized by an increase in basal body temperature. This happens because your body is attempting to kill the harmful pathogens in your body that are responsible for the illness: as your temperature increases, bacteria die. So if you are experiencing a fever, it’s a sign that your body’s immune system is under attack.
To reduce a fever naturally, essential oils can be used. Aromatherapy is a complementary and alternative medicine, and can be used in isolation or in conjunction with traditional medicine for optimal results. In this article we’re going to cover some of the best essential oils to reduce a fever. Let’s get started!
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants that can be used topically (when combined with carrier oils) but which are primarily used in aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a holistic alternative treatment to heal from ailments and promote full mind and body wellness.
There are many types of essential oils extracted from different plants, each with unique benefits and properties making them suitable to treat different conditions across a wide spectrum.
How Do Essential Oils Help Reduce Fever?
If you are looking for a natural treatment for fevers, essential oils should be on your list! Plants have many medicinal properties, which are carried through into the extracted essential oil. Here are the best essential oils to reduce a fever and how they work.
Top 4 Essential Oils for Fever
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil helps to reduce a fever due to the medicinal component of menthol. Menthol is cooling—hence why it’s often an ingredient in healing balms; it works to reduce the heat of the body when applied topically.
A study published in the International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy examined the outcomes when menthol was applied, finding that it decreased intramuscular temperature by nearly 2°C. It also helped to increase blood flow—as shown in the figure below—which can effectively reduce a fever by promoting healthy thermoregulation.
Our favorite Peppermint Oil is Plant Therapy’s Western U.S. Peppermint Oil:
- A SPECIAL VARIETY OF PEPPERMINT: Peppermint Western U.S. essential oil is a particularly unique type of peppermint oil and is a must-have for anyone who enjoys the scent and the benefits of peppermint!
- AIDS IN DIGESTION: Peppermint is well-known to have a soothing effect on upset stomachs. You can diffuse the oil to calm nausea, or dilute to up to 5% with a carrier oil and rub onto the stomach.
- BATCH SPECIFIC GC-MS REPORTS ON EVERY OIL: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of testing including organoleptic and multiple rounds of GC-MS testing by a third-party laboratory.
- HIGH-QUALITY AFFORDABLE ESSENTIAL OILS: At Plant Therapy, our goal is to positively impact the lives of as many people as we possibly can, by selling such a high-quality product at an affordable price. Be confident knowing you are purchasing quality oils at direct-to-consumer prices.
- CERTIFIED AROMATHERAPISTS ON STAFF: Our customers are our #1 priority and we’d love for you to join the Plant Therapy Family. Our Certified Aromatherapists are happy to help you with all of your Essential Oil questions. In addition, we offer a risk-free 100% satisfaction guarantee!
2. Lavender Oil
When you have a fever, you’re likely to feel uncomfortable, stressed, and fatigued. These sensations can impact your body’s ability to heal and keep you from getting the high quality sleep you need to recover. Research has consistently shown the effectiveness of Lavender Oil in its ability to improve sleep quality and calm the central nervous system.
It also has powerful antimicrobial properties that kill harmful germs. When applied topically it can fight the inflammation, bacteria and pain associated with a fever.
Our favorite Lavender Oil is Rocky Mountain Oils’ Lavender Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure Lavender essential oil: Lavender has a multitude of therapeutic benefits; It has been treasured for thousands of years within many cultures for its unique fragrance; Lavender is known for its calming and soothing properties; It can be diffused, applied topically, or used around the home
- Diffuse: Lavender essential oil has a floral, herbaceous, sweet, and slightly woody aroma that is highly refreshing and bright; Add a few drops in your diffuser or humidifier to freshen the air, balance everyday tension and stress, relax the mind and body, and promote restful sleep
- Topical: Dilute Lavender with a carrier oil to create a soothing after-sun moisturizer, relief from minor skin concerns, or use as a massage oil to melt away stress and anxiety, and soothe overworked muscles; Include lavender essential oil to your skincare routine for fresh, bright, and glowing skin
- Household: Lavender essential oil is an excellent household item; A few drops of lavender oil in a spray bottle with white vinegar, and you’re good to go! Lavender has natural properties, and is excellent for cleaning bathroom and kitchen basins; Many add lavender essential oil to freshen clothes and linens as well
- Our promise: Through our S.A.A.F.E. Promise, we have created an exceptionally high standard of quality built on a culture of caring that’s unrivaled in the essential oils industry today
3. Eucalyptus Oil
Of all plants, Eucalyptus really is nature’s healer. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and analgesic properties that can facilitate overall improvements to your health and well-being over time. A 2003 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that eucalyptus essential oil possesses “central and peripheral analgesic effects… and independent anti-inflammatory activities” this supports the use of this oil to reduce a fever.
Our favorite Eucalyptus Oil is Plant Therapy’s Organic Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil:
- NATURAL HEALING POWERS: Diffuse and inhale the familiar, herbaceous fragrance of organic eucalyptus globulus to effectively support clear breathing. It also relieves sore muscles and joints and promotes blood circulation while stimulating mental focus and clarity.
- THE PUREST FORM OF EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS: In order to preserve its powerful medicinal properties, our premium is steam distilled from the leaves of the Eucalyptus tree to extract a colorless, undiluted essential oil that has absolutely no additives or fillers. For topical application, dilute to 2-5%.
- BATCH SPECIFIC GC-MS REPORTS ON EVERY OIL: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of testing including organoleptic testing and multiple rounds of GC-MS testing by several third-party laboratories.
- HIGH-QUALITY AFFORDABLE ESSENTIAL OILS: At Plant Therapy our goal is to positively impact the lives of as many people as we possibly can, by selling such a high quality product at an affordable price. Be confident knowing you are purchasing quality oils at direct-to-consumer prices.
- CERTIFIED AROMATHERAPISTS ON STAFF: Our customers are our #1 priority and we’d love for you to join the Plant Therapy Family. Our Certified Aromatherapists are happy to help you with all of your Essential Oil questions. We want you to be confident and satisfied with your purchase.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is a popular element in skincare solutions and holistic medicine due to its powerful anti-fungal, antibacterial, and soothing properties. These attributes help facilitate the body’s fight against the fever-inducing infection. A 2002 study found that Tea Tree Oil reduces histamine-induced skin inflammation which provides some signal as to how it might also help manage fever.
We are big fans of the doTERRA Melaleuca (Tea Tree) Essential Oil:
- Melaleuca, or Tea Tree oil, is best known for its purifying qualities, which make it useful for cleansing the skin and home surfaces, purifying the air, or promoting healthy immune function
- Aromatic Description: Herbaceous, green, leathery
These essential oils have well-established scientific support for their use in reducing a fever, fighting inflammation, and soothing the body and mind to fight illness. They can be used topically in combination with a carrier oil or through a diffuser, and support your body’s natural healing process to help you feel better, sooner.
A Life Outstanding is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you.